Translate

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

For a Lad about to enter the world in 1974 life was uncertain






Ecclesiastes 1:9
History merely repeats itself. It has all been done before. Nothing under the sun is truly new.

In 1973 I was a senior at Hopkin's Lindbergh public high school,  We were known as the flyers and our dance line were the Lindy's  after the plane made famous by that aviator known as Charles Lindbergh. I remember when the school first opened the administrators had hoped to have the famed aviator himself speak at school, but poor health and his own reclusive nature kept him at his home in Hawaii.

 My senior year was fret with  other uncertainties as well with an oil embargo that threaten us with reduced oil supplies and slowly escalating gas prices. Just as the price of gas was about to cross over the 1.00 a gallon mark I remember dad exclaiming that would be the breaking point for him  when he permanently parks his car. Dad's are good at making blanket statements. How things haven't changed.

My life was fret with other worries like how do I make it in the world denying that I was born with a bi-lateral hearing impairment by choosing not wear the one thing that would help me. Like most kids I wanted to fit in without sticking out like a sore thumb. I remember how much this worried my parents as they saw my grades slipping.  I remember mom taking me to a Chinese acupuncturist she had read about in the newspaper that claimed would improve hearing loss.  Every week for a couple of months I went where they inserted 8 needles in each ear lobe before connecting those needles to electrical wires and turning on the electrical pulse machine for several minutes.  At one point I remembered thinking "it worked and I'm healed".  After the initial excitement wore off I was still the same person I was before the Chinese medicine trickery.  

I remembered that we were still at war in Viet Nam and being worried that as a member of the class of 1974 I would be drafted to fight in a war that nobody believed in. The American public didn't feel the same love for the military as we do today. 

 Watergate was in full swing with the grand old party retrenching and attempting to deflect the accusations made by the other party against the Nixon administration. This was  a year of lively political discourse in our home.  Dad was a lively debater and he would come home espousing such things that Nixon is a crook and should be impeached for allowing the burglary of the Democratic national headquarters from occurring. When the Watergate papers came out in paperback he read that from cover to cover which added credibility to his political arguments.  When Nixon stepped down dad said that in time Nixon's greatest fame will be in his Foreign policy with China.

There was a bright spot to that year.  In a little known Christian coffee house in the Minnetonka Mills area I accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior. The seed had been planted.  Little did I know that Christ would become a bigger influence than I would ever realized. That seed lead me to a Christian group at Normandale Community college where I was surrounded with Christian friends who would inspire me in my relationship with the Lord. Through one tiny seed planted in March 1974 I eventually was able to accept the reality of the disability I had and wear the hearing device that would open up my world to incredible sounds and information I previously missed. My grades improved all the way to finally finishing a Master's degree. As Christ filled the empty space in my heart I was reminded that all things are possible.

The more I think things have changed the more I realized that nothing has changed. As my son prepares for the day he graduates from Legacy Christian Academy the world is still fret with uncertainties. Gas is now approaching 4.00 a gallon and our every day life is threatened with the ever increasing terror attacks from a pressure cooker bomb that recently blew up in Boston to terrorist continuing trying to blow up our aircraft. 

I'm not worried for my son or any of  his classmates because out of the education he received from Legacy Christian Academy he also developed a firm foundation in the things that matter the most which is making Jesus Christ the central part of his life.  Out of that tiny seed that was planted comes a world of incredible possibilities.  Out of that tiny seed comes a Savior willing to walk with him on his journey in life. 

Life is uncertain, but knowing Christ as your Savior and allowing him to be Lord of your life makes life more meaningful and reminds us that He is there to help us in whatever trials come your way. The class of 2013 is in good hands because the Savior is there for them.





No comments:

Post a Comment