Translate

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Is there a correlation between rising use of E mails and anger??





Proverbs 15:1 ESV / 36 helpful votes
A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

It seems as though in this day and age no one talks to anybody on the phone anymore.  Instead, we send short little e mails with phrases like LOL, :-) :-( .  I have a brother in law who has problems with his wrists and speaks in symbols because it means less pain when typing. Not just him but more and more people are speaking emoticon to convey their feelings.

 Some use e mail because it means they can save time than calling the person and being on the phone longer than they intended,  More people are registering for classes, signing up their children for summer soccer on line.  This works fine for the most part only until a problem surfaces and you need to get a hold of someone to fix it.  Good luck trying to find a live person you can to talk to about the problem.  I wish we could go back to the days where person to person communication is possible because in some ways it would make life so much easier and dare I say it stress free? But that will not happen just like we will never again seethe day where we can go to a Gold bond stamp redemption center to buy that item we wanted.

The problem with E mail is that we have lost the ability to communicate and relate to another human being. People in grief need to be able to talk with someone live, whether it is over the phone or at a Perkin's restaurant for breakfast. Communication is more than typing on the computer. Communication is being able to read the non verbal body language, the voice patterns, and the sadness in their eyes. When Jesus healed the sick he showed compassion and warmth and when he touched them they were healed.

I found myself getting flustered when I could not talk to a live person about the soccer registration. All I got were a string of e mails that basically said that nothing could be done about fixing the problem. You can probably guess how this sat with a first born dad raised by a father who was a Marine. Not good. Long and short of it my wife ended up apologizing to the person when he called when I was out. I had no phone number to call him back on, but I did after some reflection send him an e mail apologizing to him for my terse words when I couldn't resolve this in my favor.

I have this image in my mind of a pirate swinging his sword on the ship's deck and knocking people over. This is what happens when anger gets the best of us. E-mail is a good way of communicating for the most part, but not meant to be the only way of communicating. I learned that the next time I have this problem where I need to talk with someone in person I will simply type ' need to talk with someone about the problem with the registration, please call'. 



No comments:

Post a Comment