Translate

Sunday, December 1, 2019

The Lutefisk Lament



I was reminiscing yesterday's holidays when I came upon this Boone and Erickson 'The Lutefisk Lament'  It brought back memories of sitting around the dinner table with my parents serving us Swedish meatballs, mashed potatoes and that watery fish better known as Lutefisk.  Mom would say to put lots of butter on that fish and it will taste better going down. I begged to differ as I felt the lump of Lutefisk in my throat want to exit in a violent upchuck. I grabbed the water and forced it back down because as kids weren't going to be allowed to open up our gifts unless we ate our Lutefisk. Mom and dad have gone to heaven and sadly I have to say the Lutefisk tradition died with them.

Oh, what have I done but to deny my own children to experience the fish soaked in lye and prepared once a year at Christmas time?    Instead, we introduce to them a codfish as a poor second best.  Christmas time just isn't the same when we tell them to eat their cod before opening Christmas gifts. Oh, the memories of Christmas yesteryears.  The Lutefisk Lament is one way of reliving them.

No comments:

Post a Comment