Translate

Thursday, May 2, 2019

I strive for a faith like a mustard seed, but sometimes I end up with faith looking like Linus's little tree




Matthew 17:20He replied, “Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”




What did Jesus mean when he said if you have faith as small of a mustard seed? Did it mean we can get by on a 'little faith'? I looked that up and discovered that Mustard trees have been found in various locations throughout the world. Even though it’s one of the smallest seeds, the trees can grow up to 20 feet tall and 20 feet wide. The tree can grow in arid, dry climates and thrive even in clay or sandy soil. It can grow in hot, dry weather or cool, wet climates. I see the mustard seed as being symbolic of faith in that our faith can be tested in the “dry times”, the most difficult of circumstances (drought, poor soil, and in clay or sandy ground).https://www.whatchristianswanttoknow.com/mustard-seed-faith-meaning-and-life-lessons/


Because of what Christ did for us, we too can tolerate the dry times in our lives, the difficult growing seasons of a Christian, and even when we are “planted” in poor soil we can still grow, even if in the harshest of conditions.


Faith like a tiny mustard seed. This seed of faith is resistant when troubled times come. This little seed explains why Chinese, Somalian, and eastern European Christians are thriving in the harshest conditions even when their faith must go underground, away from government control.

It explains when traumatic losses occur some impacted families of that trauma are able to thrive and grow stronger in the aftermath of that loss.


It explains why some families are able to pull together and grow stronger even in the aftermath of losing a child.

It explains why children who came out of impoverished backgrounds without the advantages others not only survive but thrive.

It explains why when Church buildings are burned to the ground, the Christian faith continues to thrive because Christ resides in those who believe.

It explains how the Apostle Paul was able to survive in prison while sharing what he saw on that road to Damascus and seeing others come to Christ in the midst of his own suffering.


 Those who knew Paul remembered that he was once a man named Saul who hated Christian's with a passion until the Lord met him in a blinding moment on the road toward Damascus.

It is because of our faith, we can come confidently to our Lord Jesus and pray as the need arises. We can pray short prayers throughout the day as the spirit within us alerts us. We can pray for others who are suffering, hurting, experiencing unusually tough times, and we can pray for our President ( regardless of party) and we can pray for Congress, the local legislature, all the way down to local politics.

It explains where there is no alternative to pray because prayer rejuvenates hope and hope does not disappoint just as Romans 5:5 says "because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us."

It explains why if I do not pray, the unacceptable alternative is to complain, to banter, to curse what I see which will only increase my blood pressure and my cortisol levels to dangerous levels leading to heart attack and stroke.

The faith of a tiny mustard seed, the seed that is resistant in the harshest conditions, the seed that bounces back stronger even if it is cut down. There is something else about the mustard seed that has implications to a dead and dying world: the leaves can be made into, you guessed it, mustard. The tree can produce edible salts, some have used the small branches as toothbrushes, the leaves have been shown to prevent tooth decay and alleviate toothaches. The implications of this tree are not lost in a dead and decaying world.


It explains why the world needs the love of Christ and the hands and feet of his believers to serve the sick, the downtrodden, and ministered to the needs of those afflicted with the effects of trauma.

It explains why we need believers to develop their listening skills so when a friend that is grieving will have someone to climb down in the muck and mire of their grief to simply listen to their pain.


Regardless of one's world view, we were meant to have a personal relationship with Jesus because he died for all just as John 6:40 reminds us: " For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”


As we encounter the scars of this life, we are comforted knowing that Jesus is walking beside us no matter what trauma is inflicted upon us.  He helps us appreciate the scars we encounter. 
I am they-Scars


Waking up to a new sunrise
Looking back from the other side
I can see now with open eyes
Darkest water and deepest pain
I wouldn't trade it for anything
Cause my brokenness brought me to You
And these wounds are a story You'll use

So I'm thankful for the scars
'Cause without them I wouldn't know Your heart
And I know they'll always tell of who You are
So forever I am thankful for the scars

Now I'm standing in confidence
With the strength of Your faithfulness
And I'm not who I was before
No, I don't have to fear anymore

So I'm thankful for the scars
'Cause without them I wouldn't know Your heart
And I know they'll always tell of who You are
So forever I am thankful for the scars

I can see, I can see
How You delivered me
In Your hands, In Your feet
I found my victory
I can see, I can see
How You delivered me
In Your hands, In Your feet
I found my victory

I'm thankful for Your scars
'Cause without them I wouldn't know Your heart
And with my life I'll tell of who You are
So forever I am thankful

I'm thankful for the scars
'Cause without them I wouldn't know Your heart
And I know they'll always tell of who You are
So forever I am thankful for the scars
So forever I am thankful for the scars





No comments:

Post a Comment