Translate

Sunday, March 18, 2018

I can only imagine




A Story About Forgiveness
21 At that point Peter got up the nerve to ask, “Master, how many times do I forgive a brother or sister who hurts me? Seven?”
22 Jesus replied, “Seven! Hardly. Try seventy times seven. Matthew 18:21-22




"I Can Only Imagine"


I can only imagine what it will be like
When I walk by your side
I can only imagine what my eyes will see
When your face is before me
I can only imagine



Today, we grieve for a family who lost their son. Actually, two families grieving two separate son's. The heartbreak of losing a child is incomprehensible because in our Adult mind this isn't supposed to be the way it should be; after all, children are supposed to bury their parents, right? 

Yet, when things happen out of order it sends us into a downward spiral of despair where we question God and even question our faith. 

This is a movie about a boy who grew up in such an abusive home that he often referred to his dad as a monster. Out of horrible circumstances, he finds Jesus at a bible camp. But, coming home he discovers that his mom left her son alone with this abusive dad.




Yeah

Surrounded by your glory
What will my heart feel?
Will I dance for you, Jesus,
Or in awe of you be still?
Will I stand in your presence
Or to my knees will I fall?
Will I sing hallelujah?
Will I be able to speak at all?
I can only imagine
I can only imagine

A movie about the power of forgiveness  Thinking there was no way to salvage this 'evil' man he left home to start a Christian band  He became disheartened when the music critics said he wasn't good enough to make it on the national scene. Flashbacks came to his mind of all the times his dad said he wasn't 'good enough'. Close to quitting, he was encouraged to stay and write original music from the heart.  

But, he had to reconcile his past before moving forward in life



I can only imagine when that day comes
And I find myself standing in the sun
I can only imagine when all I will do
Is forever, forever worship you
I can only imagine, yeah
I can only imagine


Bart drove back to his boyhood home not knowing how to respond to his dad's sudden change of heart when he wanted to pray for the meal he had prepared for him. 

He could not wrap his head around the notion that he was being asked to forgive him for all of the beatings, all of the verbal cursings dished out to him. He ran out of the house, trying to start his motorcycle and then running to his dad's truck desperately looking for the keys when he happened to find a piece of paper with the words in red- PANCREATIC CANCER.



Surrounded by your glory
What will my heart feel?
Will I dance for you, Jesus,
Or in awe of you be still?
Will I stand in your presence
Or to my knees will I fall?
Will I sing hallelujah?
Will I be able to speak at all?
I can only imagine
Yeah
I can only imagine

Bart went back into the house and in a moment of revelation saw that his dad had a changed heart thanks to listening to a local church service. He found that his dad tried to make amends with his son by sending checks each month to help him pursue his dream, envelopes he promptly threw out.



Surrounded by your glory
What will my heart feel?
Will I dance for you, Jesus,
Or in awe of you be still?

This is a story of forgiveness. A story about how God can take the worse circumstances in your life and turn it into a beautiful redemption story. Forgiveness is seldom encouraged in our modern society with Attorney info commercials reminding you of your rights and your right to sue for emotional damages. 

Will I stand in your presence
Or to my knees will I fall?
Will I sing hallelujah?
Will I be able to speak at all?

When Bart found the early journals he kept as a young believer, he discovered the word imagine written throughout.  He remembered at that moment what his agent said to him about writing something dear to his heart. As he sang that song before a packed music hall audience he saw his dad glowing in white without the scars of life standing with a youthful smile and giving his son a round of applause. No man is beyond redemption because Jesus Christ died for all of us  Until our mission in this life is complete we will have forever to be with our family and friends.


I can only imagine
Yeah
I can only imagine
I can only imagine
Yeah
Our present stories may not look pretty to us at this point in our lives because Jesus is still penning them on your hearts. The final chapter of our lives will be a mighty crescendo of praise when we enter heaven hearing the wonderful flowing sounds of praises and we see our loved ones without any earthly body weakness embracing you before leading you to see the mighty King Jesus.

I can only imagine
I can only imagine
I can only imagine

I can only imagine
When all I will do
Is forever, forever worship you
I can only imagine

Forgiveness is a beautiful thing. Who is it you need to forgive today?

No comments:

Post a Comment