Translate

Saturday, August 8, 2015

Blessed Assurance sung by Third Day (HD)




11 Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. 2 For by it the people of old received their commendation. 3 By faith we understand that the universe was created by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things that are visible. Hebrews 11

I recently learned that good friends of ours had been given a diagnosis they never wanted to receive and it reminded me once again how precious life is and each day we wake up inhaling that first breath is truly a gift from God.  It also reminded me that no matter what bad things happen to us in this life doesn't mean that God abandoned us. I learned, for example, that when bad things happen some people throw away the wooden cross, stop going to church, and slowly dissolve into a whirlwind of atheism. 

"If there is a God why did this have to happen?"
"If there is a God then bad things wouldn't happen."

I remember the divine words God placed on my heart the first Sunday we went to church without  Maria.  My 12 year old son looked at me and asked "Do I really have to go to church this morning? I don't feel so well."

To that I shared with him these God felt words at the moment.

"Well, I know you don't feel well and I know mom doesn't and I certainly don't and we can all stay home, but if we did we will deny the opportunities to be blessed by the kind word of some friend."

Many years later my son said to me that the converstation we had that morning was the turning point in his life.  He saw that his dad wasn't going to quit on his family and he decided he wasn't going to be a quitter. 

The journey has taught me that my walk with Jesus isn't based on 'feelings'.  It also isn't based on the prosparity gospel where the more we have means the more we are blessed. Life, afterall, is going to be filled with pain and suffering. How we view that suffering will help us to properly process that suffering, one day at a time.

To everyone facing a critical medical appointment just remember that Jesus is there beside you ready to walk with you on whatever journey you are on. Your life's journey may seem impossible to navigate and there will be times you may decide to 'tthrow in the towel, but that time comes that is the time you must keep going.  As the words of Blessed assurance remind us that it was Jesus who won the battle with death and it was Jesus that paid the ultimate penalty of our sin and gave us the free gift of everlasting life in heaven. 

I am so glad that I chose to put one foot in front of the other and continue to claim the promises of God after my tragic loss.  Won't you lift your hands up and praise your Savior no matter what you are going through in this life?  Your journey just may be inspiring others to know your Savior.


No comments:

Post a Comment