Translate

Monday, July 21, 2014

True Christianity isn't about being blessed, but it is sharing the pain of others



Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. Galatians 6:2


The past couple of days have been gut wrenching to say the least with the shooting down of the  Malaysian commercial airliner. They believe it was a surface to air missile that sent 300 people to their deaths. Many of these people were Dutch citizens along with 1 United States citizen as well as passengers from other parts of the world. President Obama referred to it as a international tragedy

This tragedy particularly  hits home because we have relatives who have dual Dutch/US citizenship. In response to my post she thanked me for my condolences, but confided how hard it is to see hate in the world. Her comments underscores the importance of walking with those who grieve.

There are many on the prosperity side of the Christian church who espouse the idea that when you have been blessed with material wealth such as a nice home, good jobs, healthy kids that it is because God has blessed you. By that same token when you bad things happen such as a sudden loss of a loved one it is because you did something to cause God to remove his blessing. I am afraid that many Christian's are pointing to the Malaysian culture and wondering if God had withdrawn his blessings from these people

. I know this was the feeling I had the night our daughter died. I remember crying out to God and asking him 'why' this had to happen. Was it something I didn't do in my walk with Him that caused him to turn his back on us?"

Then the words of John Newton, the man who worked on the English slave ship came to mind.


Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound
that saved a wretch like me


I once was lost but now am found
was blind but now I see.

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

From a man who suffered greatly because he saw the ill treatment of the slaves and the horrid conditions they were kept came a song written out of his suffering. Sadly, many in our culture believe that when we are in God's grasp we are immune from horrible things. I am reminded that is not the case through the teaching of Jesus when he says in John 16:33,"These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world.”

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me.
His word my hope secures.
He will be my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.


To be a Christian doesn't mean we are immune from the ills of the world. Quite the opposite. What it means is we have a God who wants us to pour our hearts out to him in our times of suffering much like we want our own children to come to us in their time of need. He wants to be a loving father like we are to our children.


Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

Yes, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease;
I shall profess, within the vail,
A life of joy and peace.


To be a Christian means we do not run from suffering as though it is 'bad luck' to sit with someone who is suffering. It means we come along side them even when we feel incapable of meeting their needs. It means we sit with them even when some of that messiness spills on us. It means we rely on the Holy Spirit within us to minister to our friend who is grieving without casting judgement on them.

The survivors of the two Malaysian airline tragedies need our prayers, our support, and they need us to walk with them as they navigate this horrid tragedy and to remind them that God's grace will be sufficient to get through this dark patch of this life. They need us to listen as they tell us their story of suffering over and over again, as long as it takes for them to get through it. They need us to be faithful as long as it takes for healing to take place.

Yes, it is a privilege to walk with those who grieve. Life isn't about being blessed with the good things of life, nor is it about how much status, how much wealth we can accumulate, but it is being used by God to help those who suffer.

No comments:

Post a Comment