Translate

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

What? Me Worried/




But God said to him, 'You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?' Luke 12:20

Like many teenage boys in my day I was an avid reader of 'Mad' Magazine.  You know the goofy cartoon like political satire with the funny looking character named Alfred E. Neumann.  I remember how mom never really cared for me to have that magazine in the house, but like most teenage boys I  would sneak it in and read it when mom wasn't looking. Now why am I telling you this information?  One cover had a picture of Alfred with caption, " What? Me Worried?" I was thinking of how people in general tend to avoid worrying about the future by being busy all the time.

We run around in circles doing all that we can do without any thought that life could end at any moment. We believe that we will live until 82.5 years and then die quietly in our sleep. Ever look down on an ant hill watching thousands of worker ants carrying food into the hole and pretending you were God wanting to help them by and you would remove rocks from their path making it easier for them to do their jobs? Those ants have no clue that it was you and they continue going on their merry business without any thought that all it would take to snuff out their life would be a large shoe or a truck tire coming in contact with their puny little bodies. 

Visualizing this gives us a reminder how it must feel to God who sent us so many reminders over the course of many years that He is who he says He is and He desires to be part of our lives"  But like worker ants we continue along the rocky path ignoring the tragic deaths we read about because we convince ourselves that the bible is just a book of fables and fairy tales. We are hurt bad by other people and automatically discredit the one source of possible healing in our lives.

I was driving home the other day and listening to the radio I discovered that C.Everette Koop died at the age of 96. Dr. Koop was the US Surgeon general under both Reagan and Bush.  They quoted Dr. Koop when he said that "he never met a parent who confessed to be an atheist at the bedside of a dying child". What an astute observation!. That same day I read about the hot air balloon that came came crashing back to earth killing the majority of people on board when something horribly wrong occurred that cause the balloon to burn up. 

Whether we like it or not sudden death does occur on a daily basis. We can convinced ourselves like Alfred E. Neumann and his silly grin that it would never happen to us because after all I am cautious and careful in the way I drive, the medications I use, and what activities I do and while our  bible sits unopened on the book shelve until something tragically happens to cause us to turn to that  source for comfort.

Where is God at this moment in time?  Is He in the back of the desk drawer sitting there like a insurance policy you hope to never use?  Is He sitting on the book shelve next to all of the other classics you placed there because you want to  have the appearance of being a believer?  God wants no one to perish, but he knows that this is a fallen world when tragedies occur all the time. I learned this back in 2007 when our daughter went in for what was thought to be routine orthopedic surgery, but in reality she died when medication she was on wasn't metabolizing in her system.  Our daughter knew her Savior Jesus Christ.  When we went into room to check on her in the early morning hour she had a smile on her face. Heroic efforts by my brother in law and the Coon Rapids Emergency medical technicians tried to save her, but her life on earth ended.

What about you?  Have you called out to God and asked him to come into your life?  Don't take a chance by postponing that decision until you accomplish such a such on such a such date and like our daughter be called  home before you make that decision.

All you have to say are these words, "Dear Jesus, I know that I am a sinner and that nothing I can do in this life can earn my way to heaven.  I know that you died on the cross for my sins and that God raised you up and you came back where many , many eyewitnesses saw you.  I open the door of my life and ask you to come in and be with me through all the days of my life.  I know it says in your word that by inviting you to come into my life I will have eternal life in heaven so that if I should experience a sudden death today I will be immediately be in the presence of Jesus Christ.

God really does have a wonderful plan for your life!..


No comments:

Post a Comment