Translate

Thursday, February 14, 2013

For better or worse......... until death do we part

  1. from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do us part.

    Love is in the air. Flowers are being purchased on line, standing in line or the old fashion way by phone. Delivery guys are staying busy delivering sweet smelling somethings to woman who are falling in love. This is the way it should be for it is valentine's day. Flowers are sent, proposals are made and weddings are being set. Kisses are being planted, embraces are being given and commitments are being made. Love is in the air.

    It was in 1987 when the girl I would eventually marry returned to Minnesota to settle down. She had been a missionary teacher in Haiti.  Linda and I first met each other when we were both involved in Campus Crusade for Christ at St. Cloud State University.  We knew each others friends  We had memories of traveling to Chicago for the Christmas conference, to San Bernardino for a Spring conference at the Campus Crusade headquarters as well as a trip with Crusade to Florida where we did beach evangelism.

    When I graduated from St. Cloud I went on a summer missions trip to Fort Collins, Colorado. She went to California.  When I returned I went to graduate school in Mankato. I eventually wound up working and memories of those days in Crusade were fading.

    God had other plans. Linda and I kept seeing each other at friends weddings. It was there where we would talk about what we were doing.  A few more years later I began dating a different girl.  Sensing that she was not the right one I broke it up and decided to travel back to Fort Collins, Colorado all by myself to do some Spiritual introspection. I stayed with Christian friends out there and attended a Evangelical Free Church in the area. I gave my dating life to the Lord and asked him to provide the woman He would like me to marry.

    Not long after I returned God answered my prayer when I walked into a Singles meeting at my church and saw Linda across the room.  I remember her from the days of Campus Crusade meetings and also from the days of seeing her at friends weddings. The moment I saw her again I felt my heart go thumpity thump, thumpity thump and on and on and on.

    We developed a good friendship.  I was so careful not to compromise my commitment to the Lord that one night at her apartment it began to storm and there were reports of highways flooding and cars floating away on the freeways.  Not wanting to fall into temptation I told Linda I was heading home, but that I would be safe.  I made it home safely.

    When we wrote our wedding vows we wanted the traditional vows which included For better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, until death do we part.  I remember my  boss telling me how our vows were a really tall order and wonder if we would be able to keep them.  Our relationship was built on the rock with Jesus being the very cornerstone of that relationship.  We have been through some very difficult times with the worse being the death of our daughter, but God has been faithful in bringing us through the storms.

    As guys the greatest thing you can do for your wife, or for your future wife is to commit yourself to the Lord and build a firm foundation from which not even a death of a child can destroy. Happy Valentine's day to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment