Translate

Saturday, January 23, 2021

I had a recent conversation with a Chaplain who was lamenting not being able to see those behind closed doors.

 


So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.





One of the tragedies to come out of this pandemic is the inability to connect with those locked away in senior centers, or the social isolation that has left many at the throes of depression, anxiety and for some at the brink of suicide. In my conversation with this Chaplain, he was lamenting not being able to reach the most vulnerable in those nursing homes and assistant living facilities. I pictured senior citizens lying on their beds as they focus on pictures of their loved ones, loved ones they haven't seen in a year. Some I picture were in uncontrollable fits of despair. Others were looking aimlessly out their window wondering if anyone was coming to see them today. This pandemic has been unfair to this once proud generation of world war 2 people who built the post war years of this economy. Oh, to spend those remaining days alone in one's room with no one to talk to seems unfair.

This chaplain I spoke too said he often spends his days looking through the glass praying for those who are suffering on the other side. I could sense the emotions in his voice as he spoke.

I understand the logic behind the decision to isolate the seniors while at the same time I sympathize with those who were called to provide personal chaplaincy services to this aging population.

I was reflecting on my own good fortune in being able to provide a 'live' grief share group because we found a larger room to meet in and we were all willing to wear face masks and maintain 6 feet distance. I found that people would rather wear the mask if it means having a personal group to be part of.

It has been almost a full year since the start of this isolation and I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I won't pretend I understand the logic behind the World health organization and the CDC, but I trust the science behind their recommendations. I believe that God is in control and we will come out of this long narrow dark passageway much stronger in faith.

While many people are lying in despair at the edge of taking their lives, God reminds us that the harvest is ready and we need to be available to bring the hurting, the hungry and those in despair to Jesus. This is our moment to shine a light to a darkened world. It is our moment for God to use our own despair to bring hope to those in need of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment