Translate

Sunday, October 4, 2020

God has a way of restoring lives after profound grief and emotional pain comes into our lives

 



The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18


Pastor Chan shares his faith journey beginning when his mom died in childbirth. His dad remarried and then his step mom died in a tragic car accident. A few years later, his dad was diagnosed with cancer and died soon after.  It was then he began searching for the meaning of God.  He found a church home where he started to study scripture and be encouraged through other believers  God brought a devoted Christian woman into his life where they fell in love and became husband and wife. They were married for 25 years when he preached this sermon.  One day, he asked his wife, "do you think there is another couple in this world as happy as we are?" He gave thanks to God for the many blessings after so much grief he had to endure in his beginning years of life.

This really illustrates how God is close to the broken-hearted and when one enters into that isolating place God reminds you that he is there with you every step of the way of this journey.  He not only walks with you like the good shepherd tending his flock of sheep, but he becomes that warm blanket giving comfort on a cold night.

I hear so many people say after tragedy, "if God really exists, then He wouldn't allow my child, my sibling, my wife, my husband, my friend to die in this tragic way." Instead of rejecting God and venturing off to try other worldview, God wants us to draw near to Him by praying and reading the word of God because He is truly close to the broken hearted. 
We live in a world that is broken.  Broken by this corona virus. Broken by the inability to do the normal things we were so use to doing before the pandemic happened.  We are broken with the thought that our world leaders are being stricken and quarantine with the virus. Some recover, while others die.  We want so much for things to be the same and we can go out to do entertainment things like spending time with friends, seeing movies, or doing the normal things we use to do at church.  We hate how isolating this pandemic has been for all of us and when we lose someone special to us the isolation only complicates our grief.  

Now is not the time to reject God, but to draw near to Him. Instead of rejecting God, seek out people in your community who may be stronger in faith and wisdom and tell them what you are feeling, tell them what has happened to you and then pray continuously.  

In 2007, I was angry with God when my 10-year-old daughter died unexpectedly.  I was ready to reject God, but I chose to draw close to God in my time of need by finding trusted listeners who were willing to listen to me complain about my agony and my pain. I found trusted listeners who were willing to climb down into the muck and mire of my grief and sit there with me until I was better. For me, I began to  journal my pain. I first began writing in a journal and later in a blog.  One day I wonder if I truly recovered from my grief.  As I read pages and pages of my journal I saw how far I have come and how close my Lord drew close to me. 

Alas, I was reminded that after grief occurs, our Lord wasn't done  with me, nor is he done with you in this corona virus world.  
As you slowly recover from your loss, God will reveal to you a broken world filled with people who need the Lord and these words from Steve Green's song come to mind:

Everyday they pass me by
I can see it in their eyes
Empty people filled with care
Headed who knows where
On they go through private pain
Living fear to fear
Laughter hides their silent cries
Only Jesus hears
People need the Lord, people need the Lord
At the end of broken dreams, He's the open door
People need the Lord, people need the Lord
When will we realize people need the Lord?
We are called to take His light
To a world where wrong seems right
What could be too great a cost
For sharing life with one who's lost?
Through His love our hearts can feel
All the grief they bear
They must hear the..

Do not be afraid to share your brokenness with other people.  They need to hear your story because your story gives them hope that it is possible to recover from this pain.  If after reading this blogpost you want to know Jesus, who came into the world to die for all of us, you can know him personally by saying this invitational prayer: 

"I open the door of my life and receive You as my Savior and Lord. Thank You for forgiving my sins and giving me eternal life. Take control of the throne of my life. Make me the kind of person You want me to be."  It doesn't matter what words you use, but I assure you that this Jesus who came into my life will come into your life to become your good shepherd in this corona virus world.
Our God has never abandoned us. He is always there waiting for us. He is only a prayer away from you.

If you are looking for a online church to gather virtually with other Christian's, I encourage you to check out the church my wife and I attend. Simply click on this link and it will take you to the churches webpage.  https://newhopechurchmn.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment