Translate

Monday, July 13, 2020

Sean Patrick Flanery "Touched by an Angel" Goodbye








1 John 5:13-14 New International Version (NIV)

13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life. 14 This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.





One of my favorite programs I loved watching was Touch by the Angel. My wife and I would watch this program and after each episode we had streams of tears flowing gently down our eyes. I loved it because it gave hope to people who found themselves in hopeless situations.



It was a story of redemption and forgiveness.  In this 9 minute scene there was a character named Daniel who was sentenced to die by lethal injection.  Daniel had harbored hate for his dad who beat him senseless until he ran away from home.  He found out through his angel that Daniel's mom had protected him from the 20 blows his dad thought Daniel rightly deserved.  It was a generational sin that caused his hatred to festered and grow inside him.



 It wasn't  until he found out the truth about what his ma ma had done to protect him that he realized that God was protecting him through her.  Daniel asked for forgiveness from God and he was assured by the angel that when he took his final breath on earth that he would wake up in heaven. As he told his mama, "I'll be waiting for you mama". 



This life is filled with needless pain and suffering. We may think that this life is all there is that we simply would be non existent the moment we take our final breath, but it isn't.  When God created you he gave you a unique set of DNA and a purpose for being. He gave you eternal life through the suffering and resurrection of Jesus Christ.



 Charles Darwin got it all wrong with his theory of evolution. We are simply not creatures that morph back into dust. No. We are spiritual bodies who will resurrect into the most perfect place you could ever imagine. A place of beauty and mountains and fruit of every kind.  You will forever be in the presence of your Savior, Jesus Christ and all of the other saints.



 As time wears on it is easy to avoid the possibility of our death.  Yet, that day is approaching and like Daniel, you will be hit with that proverbial question- Am I going to heaven or hell?'  That question, I know, makes people anxious and I suppose they are  trying to remember all of the good things they did that they hope would please God.



 The good news is that you do not have to do a thing about keeping a list of good deeds.  God did it all for you by sending his son to die for you on the cross.  All you have to do is say a prayer asking him to forgive  you of your sins and then to invite Jesus into your heart through this sample prayer:  I open the door of my life and receive You as my Savior and Lord. Thank You for forgiving my sins and giving me eternal life. Take control of the throne of my life. Make me the kind of person You want me to be. Thank you Jesus for the gift of eternal life. Amen. 



 If you said that prayer then like Daniel you will have the assurance that when life comes to an end that you will be in the very presence of Jesus Christ in this beautiful place called heaven.



Our God is an awesome God!





No comments:

Post a Comment