Translate

Thursday, July 4, 2019

In 1991, Eric Clapton's 4 year old son fell to his tragic death from on top of a high rise apartment. Out of his own incredible pain came a song that spoke from the heart of anyone who has ever lost a child.



8 For I tell you that Christ became a servant to the circumcised to show God's truthfulness, in order to confirm the promises given to the patriarchs, 9 and in order that the Gentiles might glorify God for his mercy. As it is written,“Therefore I will praise you among the Gentiles,and sing to your name.”  Romans 15:8-9





The year was  March 20, 1991. The news sent shock waves across America as we learned about his 4-year-old son falling tragically to his death from the top floor of a friend's apartment. Somehow the boy found a crack in the window causing this tragedy to occur.

 Eric Clapton arrived home shortly after the tragedy occurred and for many months he was visibly shaken by this loss. 


In 1991, neither of our kids were born; yet, I felt the incredible emotions of his song, line after line. Yet, it wasn't until my own tragic loss in 2007 that I truly understood what this pain was like.


As you read these lyrics you may feel the emotions behind the words of this song. Anyone who has ever suffered the painful loss of a child will vouch for the intensity of those words. 

Emotions run deep after the loss of a child, and for some, surviving this grief means turning to one's musical gifts. As in Eric Clapton's case, he wrote a beautiful song that became an instant blockbuster. 

There is hope to all who are grieving the loss of a child. This same Jesus who came to their child's side to carry him home is the same Jesus who walks beside those caught in the trap of those emotions.

If you are that person experiencing heartbreak from such a loss, just know that Jesus loves you and because of his death and resurrection clearly understands your pain.  How we wish we could unravel all of the emotional pain this grief causes, but the most we can hope to see is a little sliver of heaven to remind us that our loved one is okay and safely in the arms of Jesus.

[Verse 1]
Would you know my name
If I saw you in heaven?
Would it be the same
If I saw you in heaven? 
I must be strong and carry on 
‘Cause I know I don't belong here in heaven 


[Verse 2]
Would you hold my hand
If I saw you in heaven?
Would you help me stand
If I saw you in heaven?
I'll find my way through night and day
‘Cause I know I just can't stay here in heaven 


[Bridge]Time can bring you down, time can bend your knees
Time can break your heart, have you begging please, begging, please
Beyond the door, there's peace I'm sure
And I know there'll be no more tears in heaven 


[Verse 3]Would you know my name
If I saw you in heaven?
Would you feel the same
If I saw you in heaven?
I must be strong and carry on
Because I know I don't belong here in heaven

No comments:

Post a Comment