Translate

Sunday, January 7, 2018

The anchor of my soul




19 We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain, Hebrews 6:19



As we know, the world we live in is not a perfect place, not with all of the brokenness that persists in life around us. Unlike the world I grew up in where it was a common thing for families to rise on Sunday morning to worship God, we're living in a world where if you say you go to church you're in the minority.

Yet, storms enter all of our lives regardless if you go to church or not.

Death is all around us with the news of family, friends, or distant relatives who have died- and when that news filtrates into our soul many are unable to process it from the simple reality they do not have a frame of reference to help them cope with the news.

God remains far from their lives-though He wants everyone to draw near to Him when sorrow drifts in.

I've learned through the years of my life that my Savior Jesus is the anchor of my soul. Each time hurt and pain infiltrates my life, I remind myself of that spring day of 1974 when I said 'yes' to Jesus and allowed him to come into my life. From that day forward, Jesus became my anchor to keep me secure when life's storms come my way.

Every year, my wife and I try to get up to the north shore of Lake Superior where we can experience God's beauty of the endless waves. From day to day on that Lake, the waves can vary from calmness to absolute fury where boats are toppled and lives are lost. Jesus's disciples discovered in the book of Mark 4: 35-41 the power that Jesus had in calming the storms when they were terrified and asked each other, “Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!”

Jesus is my anchor that holds me firmly in place when storms come and go. Which is why it is so important to make it a habit to worship Jesus every chance we get from listening to Christian worship music on the radio to attending a Church service and having fellowship with other believers every Sunday. God is honored with our presence and he honors us by drawing us near to him.

If there is any takeaway from this post, it is that pain, death, and suffering is everywhere in this life- it is unavoidable. But Jesus Christ wants to be the anchor of your soul just as he became mine on that spring day of 1974.

Won't you take this time to say 'yes' to Jesus and allow him to become the anchor of your soul for those unforeseen storms in your life?

1 comment:

  1. Yes, there is hope for when those storms come your way. It is the hope of Jesus Christ, the one wants to help you when pain, suffering and sorrow come your way.

    ReplyDelete