Translate

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Making Space For God




The Lord replied, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.” Exodus 33:14



In this busy world we live in it is easy to forget that God wants to spend time with us. As life's activities evolve on a daily basis we get caught up with the tyranny of the urgent sort of things. Soccer practices, dance recitals, vacation planning, date night planning all seem to crowd out the very important things in our lives, our walk with God.  

I know that I am just as guilty of this as the next person and while I mourn those missed opportunities of seeking God in my private devotions I know that those other things I mentioned were equally as important. 

I think we often forget that God isn't demanding alot from us, nor does he require us to spend hours upon hours in solice studying the scriptures. Any amount of time you can give to God will pay dividends down the road with more joy, and a much greater level of peace and security.  I remember hearing my mechanic saying to me that having your engine's fluids changed regularely will mean fewer expenses down the road and thinking that maybe God desires me to spend time with him to be my guide in this troubling life. The question for me is do I want Fox news to tell me things to make me worry and panic each day, or do I want to sit for a few moments each day meditating on the Scriptures and hearing what God has to say to my soul?  

To me this is a no brainer. Listening to God though his word will be the preventive medicine I need to focus on the hope that only Christ brings to me in this life; not Fox news, not CNN, not some political analyst or presidential wannebe trying to tell me how bad things are in this world.  As I study and spend time with the savior I am reminded over and over again these words from Jesus, "33 I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” John 16:33

That is really the only news I need to know!


No comments:

Post a Comment