Translate

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Sadness and Jo y, two cousins who have more in common than you might think




16 However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name. 1 Peter 4:16



When I was younger I use to think that sadness and joy couldn't exist at the same time. Either joy had to go back into it's closet when sadness arrived, or sadness had to leave upon joy's entrance. When sorrow comes our way we are often reminded to 'be strong and don't cry'. When sorrow comes we go about our busy days of life looking for empty spaces to stuff our forlorn feelings of sadness into, until that is when there are no more empty spaces to be found because all the pain we shoved in pushes outward demanding to come out.

Then one day I saw the statistics and what happens when people neglect their pain. I recently read about the higher than originally thought suicide of our military woman; this on top of the other statistics of our military men. One article went to describe the traits of those who go into the military. Some go in trying to escape painful pasts consisting of childhood traumas. As the old saying goes they jump from one frying pan into the next.


Looking back on my own journey I think we have it all wrong. Joy and sorrow can coexist in our lives. Instead of shoving all of our pain into those empty spaces we learn to embrace those feelings by finding trusted listeners willing to travel life's journey with us all of us would be better off for it.


As a Christian I learned that when life's sorrows come it is Jesus that helps me wrap my head around the pain associated with that loss. I've learned that nothing else really works. Other things help, but they do not completely heal the pain. Through my relationship with Jesus I am introduced to a sanctuary of believers who are willing to lift me up like Aaron lifted up Moses. Through God's command not to neglect the Sabbath I develop a weekly ritual of attending a worship service and crossing paths with other wounded warriors (military or otherwise).


As a Christian I learned that it is ok to embrace those feelings of sadness that occasionally appear because I know that Jesus answers my prayers in my time of need. Tips I can offer you when your enter the house of sorrow:

Find trusted listeners willing to listen to your pain without judgment
Journal your thoughts
Read the Gospel of John and write down key verses
Start attending a Christian church near you.
Join a small life group where you can share life's stories 
Think of your Christian journey as a Spiritual Adventure filled with 
joy and sadness.
Life may be filled with sadness, but over abundant joy will abound!

No comments:

Post a Comment