Translate

Sunday, December 12, 2021

Sometimes we wished we had a remote control to take us back to the last time we had with our loved one


1Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. 2Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:1


I was lamenting about the lives we lost in 2021. Some were from tragic accidents on the roadways, while others were from gunshot wounds. Some lives were lost through natural causes. One loss I knew, the death of his spouse followed a day later- true love. 

 When I saw this clip I had this sense that most of us would love to have a remote control to rewind the scene when we heard the news of our loved ones' death. We're thinking if only I was there just an hour before, I might have prevented that person from dying. We get so caught up with life sometimes that days and months will pass before we have another conversation with those we love and when this person dies we play all sorts of 'should of games in our heads.' 

 You know the game. " I should have been more actively involved in his/her medical procedures then maybe they would still be alive." "I wish I known that I only had 'x' number of days/months to spend time with the person who regretfully is now gone" 

 The character Henry Winkler is playing is trying to get his son's attention telling him how much his dad loves him and asking him to take a day off from work and make it a guy's night out, but his dad's requests are rebuffed. His final words to his son before he left him alone with his 'work' was simply "I love you, son", but of course his son was oblivious to those tender words, preferring instead to focus on his 'work'. When his dad did die, he replayed that scene just to hear his dad's tender words, "I love you son".


I remember reading a study one time where a group of retired men was asked what they wished they had done differently in their working careers. Their overall response was not "I wished I had worked more hours, or earned more money, but their response was I wished I had taken more vacations days off and spent more time with my loved ones.


The new year is a chance to make a brand new start and spend more time with those who love you. If the unthinkable happens where you get that call at 3:00 am telling you that your loved one has died, hang on to the hope that our Savior and Lord, Jesus Christ, will be hanging onto you while walking the often sad journey of grief. He will remind you that your grief journey is as unique as the love you had with the person who died.


As we hang on to this hope, there will be no need to carry around a remote control to relive life's precious moments, but you will be filled with God's promise that you will see your loved one again in the paradise called heaven, a place that Jesus went to prepare a place for you and me.


There are some reading this blog who may not be sure if they are a believer in Christ. Rest assured that God is standing at the door of your heart. Simply inviting Him in with these words ( the choice of words or the order do not matter) Jesus will come in and fill your heart with the aroma of His holy spirit. Simply say these words: "Lord Jesus, I need You. Thank You for dying on the cross for my sins. I open the door of my life and receive You as my Savior and Lord. Thank You for forgiving my sins and giving me eternal life.


If you said these words, I urge you to tell a friend or local pastor and ask for help to find a bible believing church.

No comments:

Post a Comment