Translate

Sunday, March 20, 2016

There's Hope even in the pain and suffering of our lives




I37 On the last and greatest day of the festival, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, “Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink.38 Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.”[a] 39 By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time, the Spirit had not been given since Jesus had not yet been glorified. John 7:37-39



It seems to me that many people have it all wrong about pain and suffering. When things aren't going right with our lives we are apt to do what Job's friends would advise Job to do which was to curse God and die. Grief and loss are perhaps the major pivotal point in lives of people that either draws them closer to the savior or sends them down a cascading slope of other vices that lead to tragic endings.


I have heard many excuses from people why they do not continue in the fellowship with God:


"Christians are hypocrites"

"I am angry with God for allowing this to happen to my family!"

"If God truly loved me then I wouldn't hurt this bad!"

"I am not feeling well to attend church"

"Since God is the source of my problems then why should I honor him?"

"God took my son or daughter away! He doesn't deserve to be honored!"

We do more harm to our bodies when we unplug from the one source that can truly help us. As you will soon see in the Ray Vanderlaan faith lesson God is the source of the living water that satisfies our parched and thirsty lips.

Instead of cursing God whenever something painful should enter our lives we should pray that God gives us just what we need to get through the day. The church becomes an opportunity to be touched by people He brings into our lives to be the source of encouragement we need for that moment. As we travel the forlorn journey we become living billboards with the words, 'Come back to God' emblazon on us that others notice that quickly dissolves any excuses they had toward God.

God's word was given to us to quench our thirst. He is the source of our 'living water', not the alcohol in the cabinet, not the bong pipe, not other vices we think would sedate our pain. My encouragement to all who have heavy burdens is to plug into a church and start learning to put one foot in front of the other and make that church your place of worship regardless of how you feel on any given day. If you do that then sit back and watch God bring people into your life to encouragement. He did that for me and I know He will do that for you.

If you do that God will send streams of living water to help you on your journey.





No comments:

Post a Comment