Translate

Thursday, August 12, 2021




May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 5:13

 Sometimes a person has to slow down and take a stroll through a loved one's cemetery. I did that recently remembering our little girl Maria who died unexpectantly early Sunday evening June 10th, 2007. It's been 15 years now when she died, but it still seems like yesterday. 

As I strolled around this country cemetery with the Now Then Threshing show in clear view and horses grazing nearby, I saw many shepherd hooks with some of the best decorations on the sites marking other's families deceased children, and young adults.  I've learned that families want to be able to share memories of their deceased children. They want to share stories of the good celebrations from their theme birthday parties, field trips to family gatherings. Most people are afraid to go to that place with bereaved parents. Sometimes, insensitive comments are given, maybe not intentional, but because they don't want to go that place to listen, to console, and to cry with them.  

I heard some people say how they do not like going to funeral services because it makes them feel bad, but when they make those kinds of comments they forget that a service isn't about them, but about supporting the family in crisis.

The loss we suffered in 2007 helped bring meaning to accepting Christ as my Savior in the early spring of 1974 at a little community church in the Minnetonka Mills neighborhood. I learned since that moment that God never promised there wouldn't be suffering- there would be but when there is Jesus will be the good shepherd guiding us through all of the perils of life. 

I also learned that not only is Jesus real, but heaven is also real. When our final breaths are taken on this earth, we instantly take our first breath in the presence of the King of kings, Lord of lords, Jesus Christ.  I know that when Maria went to heaven she woke up with a brand new spiritual body, not her physically impaired one. That hope goes to all of us who find ourselves with bodies that are decaying and energy reserves that are declining that one day we will see Christ in a brand new heavenly body where there will be no more tears and no more sorrow.  



I learned that life is short. We have a responsibility to make sure we have Jesus Christ in our hearts for that is the assurance for eternal life. You can know for sure by praying this prayer: Dear Heavenly Father,

I’m sorry for the wrong things I’ve done. Please forgive me. I believe your Son died on the cross for my sins and rose from the dead, and because of this I will enter into heaven when I die. Jesus, come into my heart and be my Lord and Savior. I willingly give you my life. Now, Father, help me do your will. Thank you again for saving me! In Jesus's name, I pray. Amen.


The final thing we should remember is to always be willing to share your life's story. People need to see how you handle suffering and your story of how Jesus picked you up and carried you through some of the darkest periods of your life is one way of giving them the hope they need to hear. Hearing your message may lead them to the cross of Christ into the arms of the living Savior.

I learned in my journey of grief that my God is an awesome God and Jesus is alive and living in my soul. Now that is a promise you can take to the bank.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment