Translate

Tuesday, December 25, 2018

The story behind 'It is well, it is well with my soul'





Isaiah 41:10 (KJV)

Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.





If you could read only one book a year, I would recommend Timothy Keller's 'Walking with God through pain and suffering'. This is truly a book that teaches you how to do life when pain and sorrow enter within

 If there was ever a modern-day Job  I think it would have to be a man named Horatio Spafford. Horatio Spafford was a very successful lawyer who lost everything in the Chicago fire of 1871.  A few years later, he sent his wife and four daughters on a ship across the Atlantic to England. The ship hit another ship and began to sink. As it was sinking Anna gathered the four girls together to pray.


 The ship went under the waves and all five of them were scattered into the waves.  All 4 girls drowned. His wife Anna was found floating unconscious by a rescue ship. They took her to England where she cabled Horatio Spafford just two words, " Saved alone". You can only imagine the unspeakable grief that he felt after learning that all four of his daughters died.

Horatio decided to travel to England to be with his beloved Anna. As he passed the very spot the ship went down and the site his daughter's drowned Horatio penned these words of this now famous hymn.



When peace like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll
Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say


It is well, it is well, with my soul
It is well
With my soul
It is well, it is well with my soul


Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul
It is well (it is well)


With my soul (with my soul)
It is well, it is well with my soul
My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought
My sin, not in part but the whole
Is nailed…

As Horatio Spafford grieved for his daughters, he continued to cling to God's promises in the bible.  His hope for the Lord and one day seeing his daughters again gave him a peace that he would survive this pain. 


Out of his personal tragedy came a song that is sung in congregations across the globe. 

This song continues to inspire future generations of people entering their own deep forlorn sorrow.  





No comments:

Post a Comment