Translate

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

A Tribute to Flip Saunders and what it means for me




12-14 I’m not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don’t get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I’ve got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I’m off and running, and I’m not turning back. Philippians 3: 13-14



I was once again reminded of the brevity of life with the passing of Philip 'Flip' Saunders. It reminded me that life is short and in the blink of an eye it ends.

I think we were all taken aback with Flip's passing because we didn't see it coming. We were told that Flip's cancer was a very treatable one and after a brief hiatus he would be back behind the Timberwolves bench. After all, he was leading the young Timberwolves basketball team in what was expected to be the beginning of a winning season, especially after they drafted some outstanding players

Most of us who were born and raised in the great state of Minnesota were looking forward to seeing Flip take this team all the way to the NBA finals with play by play announcer saying in his high pitch throaty voice "Timberwolves win, Timberwolves win Timberwolves are the crowning champions of the NBA!!"

Alas, that will not happen. Life will go on with Sam Mitchel continuing the work of Flip Saunders and the team will find a way of pulling together without him.

Flip's sudden passing is a reminder for me that my faith in Jesus Christ is what pulls me together in the face of loss. In Philippians 3:14 I am reminded of these words: " but I’ve got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I’m off and running, and I’m not turning back."

It seems that when someone we knew dies we have a tendency to look back to see if we can catch a glimpse of our loved one. God reminds me in this passage that his son Jesus Christ has made all things work together for his purpose. Our goal is to seek and to know Jesus Christ and to make him known to others so that one day in the advent of their death they will look into the Savior's eyes and with a smile on their face hear the words of Jesus, 'well done my good and faithful servant.'

Life is filled with loss. People come and people go. Our earthly existence is only for a brief moment in time before our eternal life in heaven begins. Like a bee sting, we feel the pain of our losses, but God wants you to know that the real celebrating begins the moment when the veil that separates us from heaven is opened.

I have found that the secret to surviving the pain of loss is to pick up the Holy bible and begin reading the gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John and then to place one foot in front of the other and attend a local church nearby, even when you may not feel like going. You can do this while enjoying life like Flip Saunders did coaching basketball.

As you immerse yourself into God's word you will begin to feel the sense of peace just permeate your body. A peace that serves a reminder that God is in control.

Flip Saunder's life has ended, but your's continues. It is up to you how you want to spend the remaining time, but for me I will spend it knowing my Savior and placing one foot in front of and trusting God one day at a time.



No comments:

Post a Comment